Monday, March 14, 2011

A Sense of Entitlement

Now that all the appropriate introductions have been completed it is time to get on with it. What is on my mind today....hmm. Entitlement. I am increasingly annoyed with how the majority of people in our society are walking around thinking that the "deserve" to have things work out a certain way simply because they are who they are. What happened to work ethic ? What happened to the idea that you have to work hard for the things that you have in life and no one "owes"you anything. I find that my generation seems to be the start of this decline in effort. I was at a seminar for my work and the guest speaker gave an example about a college professor offering out her expectations to her class about what was to come over the semester. She said that one of the students in the class asked the professor what she was going to be offering them and what they could expect of her. Then we as the audience were asked if we thought that this student was being rude to ask this, or if she had fair grounds. I was taught that you never second guess an authority figure. I would NEVER ask a teacher something like that because I respect their position as my instructor. Children now are being raised to believe that they have right to question everything that an adult is telling them to do. WHY? What service are we doing to our society to tell children that they have the right to question authority figures. Now, I am not saying that if my child was put into a morally compromising situation ,or one in which she felt was inappropriate that i would not expect her to say something. But in her everyday life I expect my children to listen to adults, respect what they are trying to teach them and abide by their rules without questioning. Everyday of my life I have a child, whether my own or not, ask me why they are expected to meet one of my rules. UHHHH..how about the fact that I am the grown up and you are the child? I am just going to say it. PARENTS ARE TOO INDULGENT. I am including myself in this statement because I admit that I myself can fall into this. It is hard not to. It is easier to give in the demands and let them have their way because the battle is harder then the explanation. But what sort of children are we raising? Ones who grow up to think that they are entitled to have whatever they want just...because. They don't think that they have to work for anything. It really irritates me when I hear parents bribe their children into certain expected behaviors. ( Ok I have done it too. I irritate myself too.)What happened to the idea that you do what your parents tell you to to because they are your parents. There is no explanation or negotiation. I continue to be disappointed by people. Is it really that important that you cut in front of me in the grocery line? Or cut me off on the interstate? Or have your need met first? If it is THAT important to you, then just go ahead. When did everyone become so concerned with themselves. I want my children to be considerate of others, to let someone else go first, to hold open the door for someone with their arms full. I am trying to raise them to do what is expected of them according to the principles of being a good person. A kind person, who respects the request that someone has made of them and that they follow through because that is the right thing to do. There are all kinds of regulations about my job that I find ridiculous. But do I abide by them..of course. That is the expectation that I am supposed to meet in order to keep my license. I try not to question the authority over me, and maybe I find this easier to do because I answer to the almighty authority over all, God. He has set the commandments by which i will like my life and I do not question His ultimate authority. He give me the perfect example as to what sort of life I should be modeling and I follow that whether it meets my own expectations and wishes or not. I am trying to show my children that they are not in control. Our purpose in not to question the authority, but to have faith that He knows what He is doing and that our best interest is at heart. How is that any different then what we are supposed to be doing as parents? Our children are being raised in an era that is going to teach them to question everything. Question their existence, their laws, their teachers, their parents,their faith, their beliefs, their purpose. That is not necessarily a bad thing...but what happens to the respect?

No comments:

Post a Comment